1971 - 1980
- A “Made in Penang” daily – an idea envisioned by Mr K.S. Choong
- Star Publications first HQ was at No. 62, Weld Quay, Penang before moving to its own premises at No. 15, Pitt Street (now known as Jalan Mesjid Kapitan Keling), Penang.
The Star's First Issue
Sept 9, 1971 – The Star, a provincial tabloid, hit newsstands for the first time.
Soon after, The Star outsold the 139 year-old NST (New Straits Times) in Penang.
- In 1976, this made-in Penang tabloid advanced its status from an island daily to a “national daily”.
- The relocation of the newspaper’s HQ took place in January 1976 with The Star renting the premises in Jalan Travers, Brickfields.
1981 - 1990
- The beginning of The Star’s interest to expand beyond the newspaper.
- The Star ventured into magazine publishing, while adding new sections to the newspapers.
- On Oct 28, 1987,The Star’s license was revoked by the government. The tabloid was shut down for allegedly stirring communal sentiments and racial tension.
- 149 days later, the ban was lifted and printing was resumed.
- On Mar 26, 1988, The People’s Paper returned with the headline ‘We’re Back’ to a great reception from readers.
- The Star introduced the first Star Education Fair on Feb 23 to 26 1989, held at the Dewan Tunku Canselor, Universiti Malaya.
1991 - 2000
- Star Publications was listed on the main board of the KLSE (Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange).
- The Star became a member of the Asia News Network
Malaysia's first news portal
1995 – The Star launched its first e-portal, The Star Online with 4 sections – News, Business,Features and Sports.
2001 - 2010
- Jan 16, 2002 – Star Media Hub began operations.
- Sept 6, 2002 – Star Northern Hub was launched.
- Jan 4, 2009 – Studio V, The Star’s multimedia hub was officially launched.
- The Star ePaper became a reality.
- The Star acquired Star RFM Sdn Bhd (Red FM and 988) and Rimamakmur Sdn Bhd (Suria FM) radio stations.
- Launch of SMS News Alerts and a podcasting service for mobile users.
- Sept 10, 2001 – The Star relocated HQ to Menara Star, Section 16, Petaling Jaya.
- ACMS and The Star launched the Global Malaysians Network.
- The Star Mobile News Services and mobile portal was launched.
- The Star Sarawak was launched, and printing of the newspaper began in Kuching, Sarawak.
The Star's first Malay portal
A Bahasa Malaysia news portal, mStar Online, was launched
2011 - 2013
- The Star celebrates 40 years of Inspiring People – Sept 9, 2011.
- iSnap, an augmented reality technology and ePaper, the two firsts in Malaysia was launched.
- The Star ePaper was launched for iOS mobile and Adroid devices – Sept 9, 2011.
- Acquisition of three specialist portals specialising in property, automobile and accommodation / room rental classifieds – iBilik, Propwall and Carsifu, May 31 2013.
Acquisition of Capital FM
20 May 2011 – The Star acquired Capital FM, the first women-centric radio station.
Asia's lifestyle television channel in high definition
19 July 2011 – The Star acquired LITV, Asia’s first lifestyle channel in true high definition.
Nation’s most successful home & lifestyle exhibitions
The Star strengthened its position in the Events business with Perfect Livin, Malaysia’s largest home and lifestyle exhibition joining the fold along with CHEER, The Star Education Fair and The Star Property Fair.
3 ASEAN newspapers launched ePaper bundle
As part of The Star’s initiatives in setting its footprint into the ASEAN market, The Star launched the first-of-its-kind tie up, CIMB-ASEAN ePaper that enables four publications – The Star, The National (Thailand), Philippines Daily Inquirer and The Jakarta Post to reach 450 million out of the 600 million people living in the ASEAN region.
ASEAN ePaper Initiative
23 May 2014 – After the launch of ASEAN ePaper, China Daily Asia Weekly came on board with 3 other regional newspapers – The Nation (Thailand), Philippines Daily Inquirer, and The Jakarta Post.
2014 - Present
- Launch of School Buzz, Star Media Group’s first Out-of-Home media.
- The Star and Sin Chew collaborate on ePaper where readers get full digital versions of both newspapers.
- SMEBiz, a weekly digest focusing on news and coverage of small- and medium-sized enterprises.
- As part of the 20th anniversary celebration of The Star Online, Star2.com was launched.
Audience Interest Marketing (AIM)
1 June 2015 – The first Malaysian media company to offer this product, Star Media Group launched Audience Interest Marketing (AIM), a platform where brands can effectively target 13 preset audience groups online – including business, investors, property, automotive, fashion and beauty, entertainment, food, sports, travel, health, job seekers, Malay literate and Chinese literate audience.
Star Media Group launches new corporate logo and video portal
9 Sept 2015 – In conjunction with its 44th anniversary celebration, Star Media Group unveiled its new logo and relaunched video platform, TheStarTV.com
- Li TV became a wholly owned subsidiary of Star Media Group Berhad.
- Star Media Group’s events and exhibition subsidiary, Cityneon Holdings Ltd acquired the entire share capital of Victory Hill Exhibition Pte Ltd, which holds the rights to operate, market and promote Marvel characters and subsequently Transformers characters.
- Star Media Group and Star Foundation presents Star Golden Hearts Awards as a tribute to homegrown everyday heroes who performed various acts of humanity and exemplified the true Malaysia spirit.
- The Star recorded its highest ever daily readership with 1.41mil readers in 2015. Sunday Star’s readership also jumped to 1,348,000.
#AnakAnakMalaysia Walk 2016
14 Aug 2016 – In conjunction with Hari Merdeka and National Day, Star Media Group and EcoWorld organised Anak-Anak Malaysia Walk for the first time to celebrate Malaysia’s diversity and promote unity and understanding among its people.
R.AGE wins World Young Reader News Publisher of the Year award
5 Sep 2016 – R.AGE was awarded the World Young Reader News Publisher of the Year by The World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers (Wan Irfa) for its ground-breaking multimedia documentary journalism, which has already bagged several international trophies, including an Asian Media Award, United Nations Malaysia Award and Asian Digital Media Award.
Star Media Group celebrates 45th Anniversary
9 Sep 2016 – Star Media Group celebrated its 45th year anniversary. In conjunction with the celebration, Star Media Group launched its new layout of The Star newspaper and introduced two new languages for its online video platform, TheStarTV.com.
Star Media Group introduces Dimsum
8 Nov 2016 – Star Media Group launched a new over-the-top video streaming service provider, dimsum.my. It offers the latest video streaming service in Malaysia, serving the best Asian content including drama, entertainment, variety, movies, documentary and news. Dimsum offers 5 key features:
1. Concurrent users – Stream up to 5 devices at the same time
2. High-definition – Expect high quality viewing experience between 720p-1080p
3. Payment – various payment modes including credit card, debit card and online banking
4. Parental control – safe, fun and educational viewing environment with pin number
5. Subtitles – available in Chinese, English and Malay