The Star Golden Hearts award celebrates Malaysians from all walks of life – individuals or groups – who carried out heroic deeds and/or selflessly, building bridges between different communities, and in doing so promoted racial harmony and unity. The inaugural award was presented to 10 individuals and groups on Dec 16, 2015.
This year, we recognised 10 more individuals and groups who have gone out of their way to help others in need, regardless of race, colour or status. Star Golden Hearts Award 2016 recipients are:
- Marie Christie Robert: She donated most of her liver to her teacher Cikgu Cheong;
- Kong Lan Lee: Actively involved in helping special needs children through Persatuan Kanak-Kanak Istimewa Kajang (PKIK);
- Shalini Yeap May Hwa and Alfred Samuel Mariyaras: Dedicated volunteers who help the less fortunate;
- Jerryson Abraham Gnanaraj Doss and Edna Sung Burongoh: They help the homeless and recovering addicts through special programmes;
- Khairuddin Abd Aziz: For his youth education and awareness programmes about the dangers of drugs through music and art;
- Dr Rusaslina Idrus: Provides clothes and toiletries to the homeless and urban poor in Kuala Lumpur through Kedai Jalanan;
- Rishiwant Singh Randhawa: Organised the Good Will Walk to raise awareness for humanitarian purposes;
- Mohd Yusuf Rohani: Cared for a childhood friend for 15 years;
- Saari Mohd Nor & Low Kock Seong: Rescued eight Royal Malaysian Air Force men from a plane crash; and
- Tan Chin Leong: For rescuing individuals who attempt to take their own lives.
Click on the articles below to know more about their initiatives.
*All nominations are reviewed by the Award committee for eligibility. Judges’ decision is final.
This year’s Star Golden Hearts Award is supported by Gamuda.
24 January 2017
GEORGE TOWN: This Chinese New Year, Shirin Aziha Shahidan is inviting those who wish to meet Uncle Ah San to attend a potluck gathering at her former neighbour’s home here.
5 December 2016
IT is close to 10 o’clock on a Friday night when Jerryson Abraham Doss, his wife Edna Sung Burongoh and a small group of Good Samaritans with them start setting up tables along the five-foot way on Jalan Hang Lekiu in Kuala Lumpur. The pavements are lined with street dwellers who gather there in anticipation of the many do-gooders who drop off food for the homeless.
4 December 2016
KUALA LUMPUR: You may have heard of Dr S. Madhusudhan from the Teddy Mobile Clinic and his work with the homeless community in Kuala Lumpur. Nicknamed the Teddy Bear doctor because of his tendency to give street children a soft toy after a visit, he was one of the 10 recipients of the Star Golden Hearts award last year.
3 December 2016
KOTA KINABALU: Marie Christine Robert has never been one to defy her family, especially her parents. But that was precisely what she did to save a life.
2 December 2016
KAJANG: When Kong Lan Lee decided to quit her job as an administrative manager to become director of the Kiwanis Down Syndrome Foundation in Petaling Jaya, her mother, boss and colleagues asked her if she was sure.